For skincare, most SupaChicks spend the majority of our time and energy focussing on the neck up. But what about the rest of your body? Even if you apply a daily moisturizer, and use a loofa to exfoliate, you are missing out on one of the best ways to naturally detox, stimulate, and exfoliate your skin. What is this Supa Secret beauty trick? Dry Brushing!
What The Heck Is Dry Brushing?
Nope—dry brushing has nothing to do with your lovely locks. It is a detox method developed over 30 years ago by Finnish doctor Paavo Airola. It is an inexpensive, DIY method of detox and skincare, in which your only investment is a natural bristle body brush.
The whole process takes less than 10 minutes, and should be done 1 to 3 times per week. Start by using the brush to gently sweep across your dry body, working from your feet upwards and focusing on stubborn “fat holding” areas such as the legs, bum and stomach. Always brush upwards and towards the heart, then once complete, shower and apply a natural lotion or body oil – simple! I use Fushi Organic Cellulite Oil.
What Are The Benefits To Dry Brushing?
Although it is easy to forget, our skin is our body’s largest organ. It is an organ that naturally emits about 1/3 of toxins from our system. This means that if our pores are clogged, or dead skin is not adequately removed, then our skin cannot work at its optimal level. The benefits of dry brushing are many, but the most notable include:
- Removes dead/dry skin
- Unclogs your pores
- Stimulates your lymphatic system to naturally expel more toxins
- Helps to eliminate acne and cellulite
- Provides the stress relieving benefits of massage
- Promotes healthy and glowing skin
How do you Dry brush your body?
- Start Small—Begin by dry brushing a small area of your skin, such as your calf, to ensure that dry brushing does not irritate your skin. This is particularly important if you have sensitive skin. Always avoid dry brushing over any irritated areas, such as cuts, bug bites, etc.
- Be Gentle—One of the most common mistakes made with all types of exfoliation is assuming that more pressure will deliver greater results. However, the exact opposite is true. Be gentle when you dry brush, so you do not irritate your skin, and be particularly gentle in delicate areas such as your arms, stomach, and breasts.
- Don’t Overdo It—Start by dry brushing once a week to see how your body responds, then gradually work your way up to 2 or 3 times a week. Also, remember that your need for dry brushing is less frequent in your teens and 20s because your skin will automatically renew itself.
Here is an excellent video from Green Smoothie Girl that walks you through how to dry brush. Here’s to your Supa Beautiful skin!
- Dry brush your body to naturally detox, stimulate and exfoliate your skin
- It is a DIY job that should take less than 10 minutes
- Start small, be gentle, and don’t over do it
- Focus on “problem areas” such as the butt, upper legs and stomach.
Why not CLICK HERE to purchase either the 4 week, 8 week or 12 week SupaChick Fitness Programme available on the SupaChick shop, and introduce a workout routine that will flush toxins and burn superficial body fat, which alongside your regular dry brushing will leave you not only looking great front the outside, but feeling awesome from the inside too! 🙂
BE FIT, BE WELL, BE SUPA!